|  Login  
  Our School > History of Our School

History of Our School

  • The Sisters of Mercy arrived in Carlow in 1837. 
  • In 1839 a primary school was founded and opened at St. Leo’s College on the Dublin Road.
  • In 1962 it was re-sited at Saint Catherine's on Saint Joseph's Road. 
  • In 1976 it transferred to its present location in Askea. 
  • Although we no longer have Mercy Sisters on our teaching staff, Holy Family G.N.S is a Catholic school under the patronage of the Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin and our ethos is Catholic.